The number employees testing positive for dangerous drugs has increased dramatically over the last couple of years. Employee drug testing is more critical now than ever before. Good people often make bad decisions that can harm your business, your reputation and your future. You want to hire and keep the best employees possible. Don’t become the “employer of choice for drug abusers” by failing to have a solid drug testing program. Ninety percent (90%) of large businesses have drug-free workplace programs in place, while only 5 to 10% of small and medium sized businesses have implemented similar programs. The irony here is that about 75% of employed Americans work for these small and medium sized businesses. Workers who want to avoid substance abuse policies at the large companies take their job search to the smaller businesses, and that’s where they are today!
The Problem of Illegal Drugs
- 60% of the world’s production of illegal drugs is consumed in the U.S.
- Nearly 70% of current users of illegal drugs are employed.
- 1/3rd of employees know of the sale of drugs in their workplace.
- 20% of young workers admit using marijuana on the job.
- Nearly 1 in 4 employed Americans between the ages of 18-35 have used illegal drugs in the past year.